Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
I'm speaking at Balticon-Input on Hidden Gems session needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Virtual Meatspace View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

David Steele wrote:

Looking at these titles has made me realise just how much I've not seen. Can't help but feel a bit regretful about that now!

So... Looking at all these titles. Where on earth do I start? If you had to pick ONE standout film from this list, which would it be, and why?

Shocked Rolling Eyes Sorry, but you seem like just fallen out here from the moon. Have you ever been looking at the movie reviews? http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/cyberpunk-movies-by-decade/

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote  
The Architect

David Steele wrote:
That's a fascinating collection of images, even without the commentry. Perhaps you'd like to record the lecture and make it available as a podcast?

Looking at these titles has made me realise just how much I've not seen. Can't help but feel a bit regretful about that now!

(In fact, the feeling of 'title envy' is something that bookshops suffer a lot. When a prospective customer sees all the books he has not yet read and feels cheap for how little he knows. What usually happens is that the customer feels overwhelmed by his own ignorance and leaves the shop without buying anything at all! Or at least that's how the story goes.)

So... Looking at all these titles. Where on earth do I start? If you had to pick ONE standout film from this list, which would it be, and why?

Hi David,

If you look in the notes field, most of those (all but two I think) have at least the upfront stuff in them, including the star rating. But in terms of which I'd pick first, partially the answer depends on what you can get your hands on, and whether you like anime or not.

Many of these I list as 9 or 10 star movies. I LOVE Mamoru Oshii's Avalon, Renfroe & Thorsson's One Point O, Wonderful Days, Battle Angel Alita,Armitage III and Natural City. Those would all be great ones to start off with, but truly all of them are terrific. Others, such as Puzzlehead and Fragile Machine, for instance, you may have a tough time finding (in the case of Puzzlehead, the only way you can watch this is calling the director, James Bai, and asking him to send you the film!).

Regarding a Podcast, this is a great idea - I wish you had mentioned this a few days ago - I'da brought a decent microphone. Still, some of the sessions will be podcast - hopefully mine will. Once I get the bulk of all the major cyberpunk films up, my next major thing will be doing a series of essays on this, including things like the "essential cyberpunk watch list" and perhaps cyberpunk gems might be one as well.

Incidentally, my SciFi and Fantasy Themes in Anime Panel went very well. One issue though - things that I thought most of the audience (anime fans) would have seen, virtually none of them had seen any of what I mentioned. Things like Ergo Proxy, Wonderful Days, Texhnolyze and so forth, nobody had even heard of - so you're hardly alone in this. I also got to plug "Tree of Palme" - one of my absolute favorite (non-cyberpunk) animes. It's basically a cross between a Rene Laloux and Miyazaki anime, if you can believe that.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

sfam: nice work on the brochure and on the powerpoint slides. My compliments on that. You have a gift.
I was relieved to see you did include Avalon in the hidden gems.

Snow Crash: looking forward to that review!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote  
The Architect

Neuromancer wrote:
sfam: nice work on the brochure and on the powerpoint slides. My compliments on that. You have a gift.
I was relieved to see you did include Avalon in the hidden gems.

Snow Crash: looking forward to that review!

Thanks Neuromancer. It turns out though that my guess about movies I thought most would have seen wasn't very accurate. I was sure a majority would have at least heard of Serial Experiments Lain, for instance. While some had (one chick there even said this was her favorite anime of all time), there weren't many. Brazil was another one that surprised me.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Virtual Meatspace
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: