Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Solar Power Now Cheaper than Coal: First Panels Now Shipping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara View previous topic :: View next topic  

Solar Power Now Cheaper than Coal: First Panels Now Shipping
 PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote  
Microserf

Quote:

You may well have read a recent post we did on the breakthrough Nanosolar technology (a lot of people did!). Well, here’s a brief update. the Nanosolar blog has just made a rather special announcement:

After five years of product development – including aggressively pipelined science, research and development, manufacturing process development, product testing, manufacturing engineering and tool development, and factory construction – we now have shipped first product and received our first check of product revenue.

… Today we are announcing that we have begun shipping panels for freefield deployment in Eastern Germany and that the first Megawatt of our panels will go into a power plant installation there.

As far as the first three of our commercial panels are concerned:

Panel #1 will remain at Nanosolar for exhibit.

Panel #2 can be purchased by you in an auction on eBay starting today.

Panel #3 has been donated to the Tech Museum in San Jose. - Nanosolar

Trivia: When I first spotted this news a few days ago, the collectable second panel had attracted bids over $10,500. I checked again just now, to discover it had disappeared from Ebay. Nanosolar explains.

Auctioning aside, Nanosolar are selling their ultra-thin film solar panels for a mere 90 cents p/watt. Their production costs, said to be 30 cents p/watt, make this a very profitable enterprise, and one that begins to really compete with traditional dirty fossil fuel energy options:

Cost has always been the burdening factor weighing down the mass application of solar technology at nearly $3 per watt. In order to compete with the energy produced from coal solar has been in need of finding a way to shrink its costs down to $1 per watt. Nanosolar’s cells use absolutely no silicon as is the standard for current solar production and the efficiency of the PowerSheet cells are competitive with the traditional systems as well. the golden kicker, the cost to produce these solar coatings is a mere 30 cents per watt!! - ENN

There will be enormous demand, so don’t expect this price to come down much further in the short term. But, if Nanosolar can get these out the door for 90c p/watt, despite an oil-industry biased and uncooperative federal government, imagine where we could be if these guys were actually supported. If we can scale production of this system up, then covering our buildings and vehicles with a solar surface starts to become enonomically viable. Imagine turning our homes into energy generators rather than energy vacuums.

When we ran our last post on this, I tried to locate details for the sunlight-to-energy conversion efficiency. the best I could find were speculations and/or dated statements from a few years ago that pegged Nanosolar anywhere between 10-19% efficiency. the Nanosolar site is short on specifics - they are notoriously tight-lipped about the efficiency rating - but they state their panels have:

… the world’s highest-current thin-film solar panel – delivering five times the current of any other thin-film panel on the market today and thus simplifying system deployment… - Nanosolar

Wikipedia has an updated snippet that adds to the mystery:

the company uses Copper Indium Gallium Diselenide—which can achieve up to 19.5% efficiency—to build their thin film solar cells. - Wikipedia

Just because the material can achieve 19.5% efficiency, doesn’t necessarily mean that they are in practice. A little digging and I found a PDF in German (as, you’ll remember, Nanosolar’s first shipment of panels went to a power plant installation in Eastern Germany). My German is a bit rusty (actually, it’s totally corroded), but the document indicates they have an efficiency rating of 13.95%. This is pretty standard - but where the gains are made are in the ultra-thin construction and its ability to be printed like paper, fast and cheap. I’m no solar guru - so look forward to some of our readers sharing more info on this.

If you’re interested in who else is trying to drive down the clean energy road via solar thin film — check out this great list from Earth2Tech.

source: http://www.celsias.com/2007/12/23/nanosolar-update-first-panels-now-shipping/

source: http://www.celsias.com/2007/12/23/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote  
Terminator X

i think we're all gonna die because of global warming anyways Razz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote  
Lithium Pirate

jihen wrote:
i think we're all gonna die because of global warming anyways Razz

Good! that means more solar power!

IRC COMMANDS:
/server irc.esper.net
/join #cyberpunk

did you know there's the akihabara forum?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote  
Shit-Posting Jaggernaut

Yeah, Solar Power. I still did not see my "invention" realised

My invention was: Batteries whose cover was solar-cells. Simple:

Create a battery , with a solar cell cover around it. Put some electronics in it that transfer the solar power to battery power (rechargebell battery thingy), then you have : batteries that work everywere.

simple

[--------------------------]
!solar-tra!accu power !
{-------------------------]

simple, but still nobody wants this device.

I bet the big players :duracell and so, don't want to be broke, because of lack of sales.

Buy one of these solar batteries, and you will always have power. easy as it is.

Hihi

Companies can also put their logo on the solar cells.

This invention is a combination of rechargeble batteries, a battery recharger and instead of electric from the wire, electric from the outside solar cells. the tech is here since the 70s, but the practice is not. Why ? $$$$$ buck from big time multinationals...

Greenpeace would be proud of me...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote  
Net-Daemon

I think solar power is interesting and will certainly have lots of applications for space tech, but I've never seen it as working in the north east of the USA. Not to downplay it though, as there are other regions in the country and the world which could certainly make good use of this new technology.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All these moments are lost in time... like tears in the rain..."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

Cadet SF wrote:
I think solar power is interesting ... but I've never seen it as working in the north east of the USA.

It would if we use Solar Power Satellites (SPS) in high orbit above the earth to beam electrical power in the form of microwaves to a receiving power distribution system in New England. the sad thing is we've had the tech to do this since at least the late '70's and it would cost only $40 billion. (I say only because Congress has allocated $252 billion for pork barrel spending since 1991).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:46 am Reply with quote  
Terminator X

Urshanabi wrote:
Cadet SF wrote:
I think solar power is interesting ... but I've never seen it as working in the north east of the USA.

It would if we use Solar Power Satellites (SPS) in high orbit above the earth to beam electrical power in the form of microwaves to a receiving power distribution system in New England. the sad thing is we've had the tech to do this since at least the late '70's and it would cost only $40 billion. (I say only because Congress has allocated $252 billion for pork barrel spending since 1991).

like Mercury in Transmetropolitan Razz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote  
Netrunner

Beams from space? I start thinking Akira, and burning and fire and death... Of course smart scientists have probably found a safe way to beam that much microwave without frying stuff (microwave ovens beam microwaves in such a terrible way that there are way to many cat molesting videos online)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

the heat generated by such a beam would be no greater than that generated by a moonbeam.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Meat

I think the idea of not relying on the electric communal grid is very cyberpunk. If something ever went wrong or (conspiracy theory) the government/enemies ever did a "firestorm" (you know from Diehard 4 when they take the grids down) the people off the grid would be totally fine.

I say we all go on solarpower or renewable because it promotes decentralization and it is just more logical anyway. Of course there is the huge initial expense...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara

Jump to: