Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
transhuman/Cyborg tech news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

Ak!mbo wrote:
the Shat is a transhumanist?

Seems so. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Microserf

Quote:
Micro-robot that can clear arteries
Last Updated: 1:07am BST 21/10/2007

A microscopic robot small enough to travel through blood vessels has been built by scientists.

Less than a millimetre in size, the robot walks like a crab on six legs and has been designed to clear blocked arteries.

It was produced by researchers at Chonnam National University in Korea, who found the robot was able to travel 55 yards in a week.

Once inside a blocked artery, it is able to release drugs to dissolve blood clots, which are often the cause of heart attacks.

the robot has three short front legs and three longer back legs which are attached to a central rectangular body.

By attaching grafted heart muscle to the legs, the scientists found the legs would bend as the muscle cells contracted. the cells get their energy from sugar in the patient's blood.
That means the robot does not need an external power supply, which are often heavy and cumbersome, if not impractical.

Because the robot's three front legs are shorter than the back legs, they bend inwards as the heart muscles contract, creating a difference in friction that pushes the robot forward.

Using cells from the patient's own body Ė perhaps grown from stem cells Ė would also reduce the likelihood of the body producing an immune reaction, which might destroy the tiny robot before it could clear a blockage.

Thumbs Up

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/21/nrobot121.xml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/people-blog/?p=325

This one is very interesting thing to read, though not exactly news.
And now I've no one to love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Quote:
Monkey brains use web link to control robot legs
27 November 2007

Would you believe that brain signals from monkeys in North Carolina can control a pair of robot legs in Japan?

With the ultimate aim of allowing paralysed people to walk again, a team at Duke University in Durham implanted electrodes in the brains of two rhesus macaques and analysed the electrical signals that drive their legs. the team then mapped the signals to specific leg movements and, via the internet, used them to control a pair of robot legs at the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International in Kyoto.

the team, which presented its work at Neuroscience 2007 in San Diego, California, hopes the technique will one day allow paralysed people to control prosthetic legs via brain implants.

Robots - Learn more about the robotics revolution in our continually updated special report.

From issue 2631 of New Scientist magazine, 27 November 2007, page 27

source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626315.600-monkey-brains-use-web-link-to-control-robot-legs.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

As much as I think transhumanism/cyborg/clone/soul implanted machines/conscious download ideas are interesting...

I realize it's possibly just another way to control people...some sort of total information awareness global grid/borg like collective.

I recently finished up a song all about this whole theme of transhumanism/cybernetics/etc.

Xenocanon EBM!

NeoRamen webcomic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:50 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

8bitagent wrote:
As much as I think transhumanism/cyborg/clone/soul implanted machines/conscious download ideas are interesting...

I realize it's possibly just another way to control people...some sort of total information awareness global grid/borg like collective.

I recently finished up a song all about this whole theme of transhumanism/cybernetics/etc.

well if it comes to that you can just get an underground operation.. Avoid the government doing monkey business with your brain Razz

do you play instruments?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

Ghostface wrote:
8bitagent wrote:

well if it comes to that you can just get an underground operation.. Avoid the government doing monkey business with your brain Razz

do you play instruments?

From a Shirow/Gibson loving perspective, the world moving toward all this transhumanism/1984/corporate PMC/borderless crazyness is temptingly romantic...in a cynical way.

the ability to give people with sight problems or no sight the gift to see...people the ability to walk, parapelgics the ability to move and feel...its breathtaking. As is all the neuro, cell, nano, etc research

But as we all know, behind altruistic intentions often lies some pretty nefarious duality.
Hence everything we read in fiction has the disclaimer of a "cautionary tale".

Oh yeah, I play keyboards/sequence music/sing/write.

Xenocanon EBM!

NeoRamen webcomic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

8bitagent wrote:

From a Shirow/Gibson loving perspective, the world moving toward all this transhumanism/1984/corporate PMC/borderless crazyness is temptingly romantic...in a cynical way.

the ability to give people with sight problems or no sight the gift to see...people the ability to walk, parapelgics the ability to move and feel...its breathtaking. As is all the neuro, cell, nano, etc research

But as we all know, behind altruistic intentions often lies some pretty nefarious duality.
Hence everything we read in fiction has the disclaimer of a "cautionary tale".

Oh yeah, I play keyboards/sequence music/sing/write.

Yeah true, but I wouldnt want the 1984 stuff happening in real life. It's more the fact that it's already gone beyond the point of no return and thatís a way of dealing with it. Of course we still should do everything we can to fight that type of oppression.

What makes me happy is the transhuman side of things. Giving a blind man sight, integrating our tools with our own bodies to new levels.. thatís what gets me going. All the possibilities involved, the freedom and all the great ideas and innovations that will come out of transhuman technology.

At the same time we should be aware the dangerous possibilities, but thatís ALL the MORE REASON TO BECOME ENHANCED. So we can STAY AHEAD OF THEM. After all the human body can seem fragile in a land of sharp edges and metal...

As for keyboards, I have a bass, getting a guitar soon, write, and want to start using keyboards for myself. What kind of hardware are you using? Also have you done classical training?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote  
Engineer

I just let a friend of mine borrow my bass, I'm afraid I wont get it back, he loved it so much.
I just ordered my dream guitar as a birthday pressie for myself on Thursday, I'll have it in about two weeks!
[/sidetracked]

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Jump to: