Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Super Mario Bros (Movie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Reviewer Forum View previous topic :: View next topic  

Super Mario Bros (Movie)
 PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

Super Mario Bros
Year: 1993
Written by: Parker Bennett, Terry Runte, Ed Solomon
Directed by: Rocky Morton, Annabel Jankel, Roland Joffé
Correlation of Cyberpunk Themes: Low
Degree of Cyberpunk Visuals: Medium
Rating: 3 out of 10

Overview:
Mario Bros is a (very unfaithfull) movie adaption of the NES game of the same name. As a source of the story, the producers used reference material produced by Nintendo of America as a background story canon. (For example that Mario and Luigi are from Brooklyn.) Many parts of this canon was retconned later to make it similar to the original Japanese canon. Instead of adapting the original Mario story, they changed it into a more “normal” Cyberpunk/Parallel universe story.

Plot
the meteor strike which caused the dinosaurs to die out threw some dinosaurs into a parallel universe. In this universe, the dinosaurs evolved into reptilian humanoids which developed a Cyberpunk Society ruled by the Dictator King Koopa. In the 20th Century of the normal universe, the italian american plumber brothers Mario and Luigi get business problems because the criminal corporation Scapelli Construction Corp drew them out of business. Luigi falls in love with Daisy, a female archeology student leading an excavation. Daisy gets kidnapped and the Mario brothers follow the kidnappers.
Because of this, they get into the parallel universe. They discover that Daisy is the daughter of the former ruler of the parallel universe who was overthrown by King Koopa. To save Daisy, she was brought into the main universe. King Koopa kidnapped her because at the excavation, she found a part of the meteor which caused the dimension shift. King Koopa needs the part to merge both universes to conquer both of them. (King Koopa also developed a special biological weapon which is able to devolve attacked victims, for example turning humans into apes.) Iggy and Spike, the henchmen of King Koopa who kidnapped Daisy for him switch sides to rebel against his dictatorship.
I think the part in the normal reality was pretty boring and the film became interesting when they arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom universe.
the evolution/biology parts of the story are completely unscientific and illogical, so it’s better to ignore them largely, although they have got a certain Transhumanism element. the devolution machine turning people into slaves of Koopa also has got elements of the aspect of the “Negative Aspect of Technology on Humanity”.
Koopa/Bowser was turned into a corrupt corporate politician whose industries devoured nearly all natural resources. Because of this, he wants to attack other universes. This has got a distinct Cyberpunk feel and it also reminds on some real world politicians.
There are also typical cyberpunk criminals in the story and there is a rebellion element.

Visuals
the Visuals are among the best elements of the movie. the dystopian police station with the chicken battery like prison looks impressive. This would also perfectly fit in a more serious cyberpunk movie. (Although it looks a little bit over the top.)
the electric cars of the movie look very cool. the coolest cars of the movie are these bulldozer/police car hybrids.
the city is a standard Blade Runner esque Neon Sign filled cityscape. It’s nothing noteworthy. (Personally, I think the production sketches looked more impressive. ) On some occasions, you can find names of Enemies of the Mario Series like “Bullet Bill” or “Thwomp” on the signs.
the movie has also got some cool clothes. (For example the rocket boots of one criminal.)
In the movie, they created the character of the Mushroom King who became a giant mushroom. the appearance of the Mushroom king is somewhat disgusting.
A visually unaltered Bob Omb also appears in the movie.
I think it was bad that instead of making the typical “Mario Clothing” the standard clothing of the protagonists, they turned it into uniforms of the military of King Koopa.

Conclusion:
Mario Bros is a movie which truly deserves the term trash movie. It has got some interesting scenes, but it wastes a lot of potential as an adaption of the Super Mario series as well as a Cyberpunk retelling of the Super Mario Series. It surely has got some very funny dialogues (I think the visuals and these funny dialogues are in fact saving the movie from being totally bad.), but there are plenty of better movies.
the movie can be interesting on the topic of Video Game history, but of course, it can’t mess with the games.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote  
Awakened Mind

Very well said.

Interesting production design wasted on an awful story. Visually the movie kind of reminded me of Total Recall.

However this needs to become a reality!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

Burnt_Lombard wrote:
Very well said.

Interesting production design wasted on an awful story. Visually the movie kind of reminded me of Total Recall.

I agree. Although Total Recall has got a different colour cheme. (At least on the Mars scenes, where shades of red become dominant.)

Burnt_Lombard wrote:

However this needs to become a reality!

Yes, that's cool. Mr. Green Thumbs Up (And some dialogues have got an interesting double meaning. Mr. Green )

This site has got some interesting production scetches of the movie: http://www.smbmovie.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote  
Awakened Mind

That's some gorgeous concept art, love the devastated alternate NYC pics. Obviously the budget would have skyrocketed to achieve that look. All just seems so weird this is the route SMB movie went. I think "Labyrinth" would have been a better template than Blade Runner/ Max Headroom.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

Burnt_Lombard wrote:
That's some gorgeous concept art, love the devastated alternate NYC pics. Obviously the budget would have skyrocketed to achieve that look. All just seems so weird this is the route SMB movie went. I think "Labyrinth" would have been a better template than Blade Runner/ Max Headroom.

I agree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Meat

Hi,

This is exceptionally decent and wonderful post.
I am very happy joined this forum.
I like it exceptionally much....!!!!

Thanks alot...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Reviewer Forum

Jump to: