Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
transhuman/Cyborg tech news
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara View previous topic :: View next topic  

transhuman/Cyborg tech news
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Okay so transhuman technologies are a major part of cyberpunk. They've been thought up in stories since neuromancer, and before that too.

This thread is for any cyber, bio,nano or chemical/nootrophic advances that are being used for the purposes of transumanism or can be used in the future for transhumanism

Here's my post from techy news pics

Ghostface wrote:
This new technology may allow for implants that are safe and fairly easy to upgrade and enhance.

Quote:

Neural 'extension cord' developed for brain implants

NewScientist.com news service, Jan. 19, 2007

A "data cable" made from stretched nerve cells could someday help connect computers to the human nervous system. the modified cells should form better connections with human tissue than the metal electrodes currently used for purposes such as remotely controlling prosthetics.

Connecting the chord to electrodes outside of the brain means the reaction of neurons to non-organic material can be controlled. In the future, the cord could connect an amputee's nerves to a sophisticated prosthetic, and might even offer a way to connect artificial eyes or ears to the brain.

source: http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn10997-neural-extension-cord-developed-for-brain-implants.html

And here's a quote from NatOtaku on soft celled robots

NekOtaku wrote:
Well, I don't drink coffee just to get / stay awake, I really like it.
I'll prob'ly try out those donuts if I come across them, though!

On to some news:
Soft robots!
I think the future of robotics lies in synthesized muscle fiber.. which would make the robots kinda squishy. If we could store energy in fat as well, instead of in batteries and fuel cells and what not, we're well on our way!

^^ Obviously if this technogy could be used for building robots it could be used to construct artificial limbs

Post any new findings in this thread. It would be cool to see what comes up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

Well, there's a robot arm therapy treatment that helps people who had a stroke. If the victim has enough strength in their arm to trigger it, the arm can help retrain them.

Not transhuman enough? How about a computer that learned to recognize objects. They say learning is essential for AIs to become human-like, and this system certainly learned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:47 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Quote:

Stem cells used to boost breasts

Silicon implants can be problematical
Scientists in Japan claim to be able to increase the size of a woman's breasts using fat and stem cells.the technique uses fat from the stomach or thigh which is then enriched with stem cells before being injected.

It is hoped the method could prove a more natural-looking alternative to artificial implants filled with salt water or silicone.

But plastic surgeons working in Britain have greeted news of the technique with "extreme caution."

Kotaro Yoshimura, a surgeon at the Tokyo University medical school, said more than 40 patients had been treated.

the enhanced breasts are soft and natural, so they are the patient's "real" breasts

Cellport Clinic Yokohama

Mr Yoshimura said he believed the stem cell and fat combination, which can increase a woman's cupsize by two sizes, was a success.

"There have been no serious complications," he said.

During the operation, surgeons suck fat cells from the stomach or thigh, and this "slurry" is enriched so that there are higher numbers than usual of stem cells.

These are "master" cells which are capable of making new fat cells.

When the enriched stem cell mixture is combined with normal fat tissue, it can then be injected into the breast area.

More natural look

the treatment aims to offer a softer more natural look than traditional silicone implants.

Mr Yoshimura said the he believed combining stem cells with fat gave an improved result.

He said breast enlargement using fat and stem cells did not create a lumpy effect.

Lots of small particles were added rather than "one big lump".

Cellport Clinic Yokohama in Japan are currently the only ones to provide the treatment.

the clinic website claims: "the enhanced breasts are soft and natural, so they are the patient's "real" breasts."

Consultant Norman Waterhouse said he had concerns about such a procedure.

He said: "It would be incorrect to suggest that a breast implant equivalent could grow from stem cells alone, and fat transfer, which is not a new procedure, can still lead to complications and give a lumpy effect."

"This appears to be a rather optimistic view of what is yet a theoretical approach."

Consultant Rajiv Grover added: "We greet this news with extreme caution."

However, Adam Searle, past president of British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons said the development should not be dismissed.

"There is exciting potential but no reality in practical terms at the moment.

"the stem cell 'soup' is too non-specific to really focus on what you want."

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6354451.stm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:21 am Reply with quote  
The Architect

Finally, a technology with REAL benefits. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:10 am Reply with quote  
Shit-Posting Jaggernaut

Last week, I watched German satelite television, and saw a documentary, about some guy, who had some wicked implants.

- An extra ear implanted in his left arm
- Two horns on his head (made with sea-coral)
- A speaker in right arm

He joked about it, that when he did not want to talk, he used his speaker in his right arm to answer the phone.
the extra ear really did look monstreus.

My opinion about this man, was that he uses implants to look monstreous. I do not think, that any women would be attracted to a guy with an extra ear on his arm.... lol

But furthermore, implant-tech is quite advanced nowadays.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

sfam wrote:
Finally, a technology with REAL benefits. Wink

hehehe

Wink Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote  
The Architect

A post from InVivo this morning that got lost on the website transfer:

InVivo wrote:
the extra ear, that may have been Stelarc, the body artist, whom I saw at the transmediale in Berlin , but he got no horns, and the microphone had to be taken out again, it got infected.
http://futurezone.orf.at/it/stories/169016/
some pics of the ear

I wrote a blog entry about that here
http://blog.myspace.com/human_research_model

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Here's a quote from teh techny news thread from sfam

sfam wrote:
There are now Trials for Bionic Eye implants. I also blogged about this on the front of CR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

And another one in the same thread

From Mr Roboto

Mr. Roboto wrote:
Duke University Medical Center have created a weaving machine to repair cartilage. the machine weaves a fabric "scaffold" that has the same properties as cartilage, but stem cells can be introduced into it and made to grow throughout the fabric to replace it.

They are looking to start trials in three to four years. I hope my knees can hold out till then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote  
Microserf

Monkey with the robit arm thread

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=377

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

I posted a link to this already in the "Techy news picks" thread already, but it can go here as well:

Author Rob Carlson is calling for biology to be Open Source... "Open Biology," as he calls it. Research would be publicly available and redistributable with a GPL, like Linux, and do away with patents and copyrights that only cause profiteering and suppression of research.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Mr. Roboto wrote:
I posted a link to this already in the "Techy news picks" thread already, but it can go here as well

Thats good we can link post from that thread if its relevant here

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote  
Microserf

Quote:
Emotiv Systems, an electronic-game company from San Francisco, wants people to play with the power of the mind. Starting tomorrow, video-game makers will be able to buy Emotiv's electro-encephalograph (EEG) caps and software developer's tool kits so that they can build games that use the electrical signals from a player's brain to control the on-screen action.

Link: http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18276/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Microserf

Bionic Will Boom

the line between human and machine is becoming finer, according to the father of the internet, Vint Cerf.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Console Cowboy

Ghostface wrote:
Quote:
Starting tomorrow, video-game makers will be able to buy Emotiv's electro-encephalograph (EEG) caps and software developer's tool kits so that they can build games that use the electrical signals from a player's brain to control the on-screen action.

Link: http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/18276/

I'm reminded of Back to the Future II when the kids thought an arcade game on which they had to use their hands was a mere child's toy.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Jump to: