Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
AVATAR: Does it deserve the compliments it gets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Reviewer Forum View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote  
Disposable Assassin

I have to say I'm a big fan of James and he hasn't really let us down before and I wasn't let down this time. While this film was pretty much Dances with Fern Gully in space I enjoyed it.

I think while it might not be the most astounding storywise, I thought technically wise it was pretty awesome.

I think the low gravity was mainly put in to help with the disbelief factor of how these tree people are able to jump around so nimbly without dying a horrible death so often. If it was normal the size of those avatars would be a little prohibitive.

I don't really have too much trouble with the technology part of it as far as interfacing with the avatar as they said in it that it can be 'very dangerous' to be severed from your avatar without warning. Although we didn't see a disaster from it, presumably it isn't as so childishly safe as it seems.

I think for it's technical aspect it deserves every bit of credit it gets despite its lack of really origional storyline.

It's not really a victory though as how insanly expencive that rock is, it would definatly be worth reinvesting in another attempt at aquiring it.

In a youtube video I saw a spoof where the refrenced aliens. As the ship was taking off with the humans that were freed a disgruntled marine grumbles, "Look, let's just bug out and call it even, kay? What're we even talking about this for?" and the corporate guy frowns, "I say we take off.. nuke the entire site from orbit... only way to be sure" and the hudsonesk marine, "Yeah man.. game over man.. game over" hehe It would be the logical next step really. Especially after the grunt that'd gone native brought all of them into one place.

They might not've been able to orbital bombard with the ship they had there but they would definatly have been back and shitbombed the hell out of that planet til they got what they wanted.
What's more important, the data or the jazz? Sure, sure, 'Information should be free' and all that- but anyone can set information free. the jazz is in how you do it & what you do it to. the data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Disposable Assassin

Yeah there were a lot of military errors in this I didn't understand.

#1 Why fly close enough to the ground to even get hit with arrows? the main ship may have been armored but all the other choppahs had open door gunners.

#2 Why not just bomb the place from the beginning? "Blow a hole in their cultural memory"... um, you mean piss them off? If you're going to kill them, kill them sheesh. Don't use gas grenades to clear them, then topple their house. What you think you'll be able to mine in peace picking through the rubble of their treehouse?

#3 Yeah, kick the insane militia off planet, and they can just nuke you from orbit.

Cameron was on Charlie Rose claiming he wanted this to be his 2001/Star Wars in terms of quantum leap in filmmaking...

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/10866

which I think this was a solid jump but the emo kindergarden storytelling loses points in my book. Technically impressive but so was Transformers. Star Wars broke so much ground... as a myth, with FX, as well as it's underrated sound design. Unfortunately history may give it more value than I think it deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

Well if it makes you feel any better, Hurt Locker got the Oscar and not Ava.

But seriously, District 9 was superior to Hurt Locker. Inglorious Basterds is superior to Hurt Locker. I haven't watched A Serious Man yet but I'm sure it's also superior to Hurt Locker.

Nobody's happy with this except feminists and douchebag 'veterans' the same age as me.

In the end, every movie trivia in the future is gonna read: Which film Avatar lost to in 2010's Academy Awards??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:52 am Reply with quote  
The Architect

Klaw wrote:
#1 Why fly close enough to the ground to even get hit with arrows? the main ship may have been armored but all the other choppahs had open door gunners.

the small choppers stayed all the way in the back, and only the workhorse variant has open door gunners - all the rest are Comanche-like fighters. Also, the arrows can't really penetrate them from the ground - you'll notice that in the final battle, they used both gravity and speed (dive attack from above) in order to give the arrows additional power.

Klaw wrote:
#2 Why not just bomb the place from the beginning? "Blow a hole in their cultural memory"... um, you mean piss them off? If you're going to kill them, kill them sheesh. Don't use gas grenades to clear them, then topple their house. What you think you'll be able to mine in peace picking through the rubble of their treehouse?

Wasn't it explained well enough in the movie itself? You don't want an open confrontation if one can be avoided. Killing the Na'vi is bad press, so they tried to get them to go away by bringing down the tree. It's basically human thinking: if the weaker is chased away, he'll stay away if he has a choice. They ignored the importance of Home Tree to the Na'vi.

Klaw wrote:
#3 Yeah, kick the insane militia off planet, and they can just nuke you from orbit.

They can't nuke anything from orbit, as they have no nukes - the Venture Star is a spaceship, not a bomber. Hell, they even used mining explosives and intended to drop them from a frakkin' space shuttle because they're not equipped for that kind of warfare. Also, how would they mine the unobtanium from a nuked site? the Omaticaya are just one clan of some 200 warriors tops, do they nuke all the others all over Pandora as well?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:12 am Reply with quote  
Cyberjunkie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Me_Joe

Tsk tsk James. I guess all great "artists" steal eh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote  
Awakened Mind

Nothing cameron has done has been original. Terminator borrowed from Harland Ellison's Soldier, Aliens is Starship Troopers, etc. etc. But it's still usually fun to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
Terminator X

Burnt_Lombard wrote:
Nothing cameron has done has been original. Terminator borrowed from Harland Ellison's Soldier, Aliens is Starship Troopers, etc. etc. But it's still usually fun to watch.

Dude... Aliens was made way ealier than Starship Troopers. It's from 1986, and Starship Troopers is from 1997.
and Aliens is way cooler than Starship Troopers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote  
The Architect

I doubt that Cameron knowingly "borrowed" from anyone. It's just lots of fun to throw stones at something successful. As if it isn't obvious that the plot is the least of the reasons for Avatar's success.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote  
Lithium Pirate

IRC COMMANDS:
/server irc.esper.net
/join #cyberpunk

did you know there's the akihabara forum?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote  
Cyberjunkie

[ETM] wrote:
I doubt that Cameron knowingly "borrowed" from anyone. It's just lots of fun to throw stones at something successful. As if it isn't obvious that the plot is the least of the reasons for Avatar's success.

Uh, click that link I posted and tell me that once more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 am Reply with quote  
Terminator X

l1zrdking wrote:
[ETM] wrote:

Can't copyright got to it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
The Architect

l1zrdking wrote:
[ETM] wrote:

Trust me, there's little about AVATAR I don't know already. I have read that already a long time ago and my comments are with that in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Awakened Mind

AL1GN wrote:
Burnt_Lombard wrote:

Dude... Aliens was made way ealier than Starship Troopers. It's from 1986, and Starship Troopers is from 1997.
and Aliens is way cooler than Starship Troopers

Pssst! Starship Troopers was a novel published in 1959, pass it on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:57 pm Reply with quote  
Keyboard Samurai

And as luck would have it..!: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StarshipTroopers

Quote:
This film was originally to be an Aliens ripoff called "Bug Hunt", then Verhoeven got the rights to the Heinlein story. Many wept that day.

To be honest, I've never watched this movie but I can sympathize with Verhoeven's feelings towards the whole fiasco. Even before I watched Avatar or all the other crap I liked, watching movies like Hurt Locker, Annapolis, Jarhead, or even Crazy/Beautiful just depress the shit out of me too.

I've also met a few of them veterans my age IRL at uni. They pissed me off, talking to them was like talking to cops.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Reviewer Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: